We celebrated a fantastic school year of sport. Recognising the commitment and achievements of students and teams from Year 7 to Year 13. We were joined by Theo Spalding-McIntosh. His sporting achievements in Judo include:
- 2015 – European Open – Bronze
- 2015 – Pan-American – Open Bronze
- 2015 – British Open – Silver
- 2014 – British Championships – Gold
- 2013 – Glasgow World Cup – Bronze
- 2007 – British Championships – Silver
- 2006 – Commonwealth Tournament – Silver
- 2006 – Commonwealth Tournament – Gold
- 2006 – British Championships – Gold
- 2005 – British Junior Championships – Gold
Growing up in the east-end of London, Theo started Judo aged 6. It was his mother’s attempt to find him a focus that would keep him out of trouble.
Initially finding the sport challenging, he found his feet as a teenager when he joined Willesden Judo Club. Here he won his first National Championship, aged 15, and knew that he would be able to take this passion even further.
20 years in Judo, 10 of which spent competing for Great Britain across the world winning five more British Championships, 2 Commonwealth Tournament medals as well as World Cup and European Cup medals has been described as some of the greatest years of his life. However these great moments were not without their challenges and obstacles, leaving the city he grew up in and facing the mortality of those closest to him, this journey has been a rollercoaster of emotion and determination filled with sprinkles of success.
Now retired Theo is looking forward to joining the Youth Sport Trust’s team of Athlete Mentors, sharing some of his experiences, and supporting young people in finding their passion.