Year 9 students, Jai Ramchandani and Sahil Kotecha, represented Kingsbury High School at the Financially Speaking Final held at Bridewell Hall in Fleet Street on Tuesday 24 April 2012. The students were selected out of 30 Year 9 students by members of Speakers Trust at an event held at the school earlier last term. Kingsbury High School was the only Brent school invited to take part and was only one of 2 from schools north of the river. The students acquitted themselves extremely well.
The judging panel included:
– Paul Lewis, Personal Finance Journalist & Broadcaster
– Hugh Pym, Chief Economics Correspondent for the BBC
– Liz Ambekar, Director of Finance for The Eve Appeal
– Paul Warren, Bursar for Corpus Christi College, University of Cambridge
– Franca Rofe, Corporate Affairs, Citi
– Alex Palfreman, Financially Speaking Winner 2011, St Bonaventure’s Comprehensive Catholic School, Newham
Out of the 20 schools, 10 places were awarded at the end of the event of which Jai took 5th place.
A video of Jai’s speech is available for viewing on the Speakers Trust YouTube channel.
[information provided by Ms Woodrow & Mr Das; Photograph by Tony Preece & provided by Speakers Trust]